I am growing older and so are all my childhood caretakers. Because of our past lack of scriptural knowledge, we ate and dined without one thought of what we were putting into our bodies. As a result of conscience-free eating most of my childhood caretakers have developed chronic high blood pressure, and have been told by their physicians that they may eat 1500mg of salt per day or less.
According to the FDA findings an average person consumes the minimum of 3,300 mg of salt per day. (http://www.fda.gov/)
The opinions of my caretakers, who must maintain the special low-sodium diet for healthy living, is that it is impossible to maintain 1500mg of sodium per day. Why? Because Israel is a flavorful people; who loves tasting flavor too! That is why I would like to share this salt-free recipe; to show we can still have a tasty meal with much less sodium and no added salt.
What you need:
- Lean ground turkey (320mg sodium or less)
- 2 Low-sodium spaghetti sauce (100mg salt or less)
- Cottage Cheese (5mg sodium or less)
- Shredded Cheese (54mg sodium or less)
- Bake lasagna pasta
- Ms. Dash (or other brand) salt-free seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Grapeseed oil
- 1 TBS Oregano powder
- 1 TBS Black Pepper
- 9 X9 inch baking pan (deep)
- Medium skillet
Tasty cooking preparation:
- Warm skillet, then coat the bottom of the skillet with onion powder and garlic powder, then sprinkle a little grapeseed oil.
- Place ground turkey into the skillet then coat the top of the ground turkey with garlic powder, cumin powder, and chili powder, then sprinkle a little grapeseed oil on top of it.
- Cover the skillet and let the meat cook on low for 25 minutes, then stir it all together and add chopped garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Let it cook on low heat for another 30 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes and put them in a blender with a dash of grapeseed oil, dill, onion powder, and garlic powder, and a dash of salt-free seasoning. Add this mixture to the cooking meat, stir and cover. Let it continue to cook on low for 10 more minutes.
- Place cottage cheese into a mixing bowl, sprinkle in dill, Ms. Dash, black pepper, oregano and then mix together.
- In the 9×9 baking dish coat the bottom of the pan with spaghetti sauce, then break the lasagna pasta and place the first layer on the bottom of the dish, then spread a smooth layer of cottage cheese mixture on the layer of noodles, next stir a can of spaghetti sauce into the meat and stir, then sprinkle a layer of the meat mixture on top of the cottage cheese mixture, then sprinkle shredded cheese. Next place the next layer of pasta noodles, cottage cheese, meat, and shredded cheese. Lastly place the final layer of pasta noodles, then spaghetti sauce and top with shredded cheese, sprinkle a little dill on top for extra flavor and presentation.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour.
- Remove and enjoy the tasty no-salt added lasagna.
Note: If you have a large family and a 9×9 inch baking dish is too small, instead of doubling the ingredient to make a bigger lasagna and risking too high of a sodium count, just make two separate batches using the same method for both batches.