The Burning Within: Calming Inflammation
When you catch a cold or sprain your ankle, your immune system switches into gear. Infection or injury trigger a chain of events called inflammation. The signs of normal inflammation like heat, pain, redness, and swelling are the first signals that your immune system is being called into action. In a delicate give and take balance, inflammation begins when pro-inflammatory hormones in your body call out for your white blood cells to come and clear out infection and damaged tissue. These agents are matched by equally powerful, closely related anti-inflammatory compounds, which move in once the threat is neutralized to begin the healing process.
“And if the bright spot stay in his place, and spread not in the skin, but it be somewhat dark; it is a rising of the burning, and the priest shall pronounce him clean: for it is an inflammation of the burning.” ~Leviticus 13:28
Acute inflammation that is reduced and flows as needed signifies a well-balanced immune system, but symptoms of inflammation that don’t recede are telling you that the “on” switch to your immune system is stuck. It’s fixed on high alert even when you aren’t in imminent danger. In some cases, what started as a healthy mechanism, like building scar tissue or swelling, just won’t automatically shut off as it should. But is this imaginary switch ready to be turned off or could it be combatting something within the body that it cannot overcome? This situation occurs when there is a health condition present, spats of stress, ongoing or long-term stress and allergic reaction from environmental pollutants or food one consumes. Situations that make the immune system less resistant to the common cold and infection from foreign organisms such as bacteria and viruses. This causes inflammation on top of inflammation which is why that internal switch won’t turn itself off. It is because the event to eliminate the threat is not yet neutralized. Whatever the issue may be triggering the inflammation, it’s becoming a chronic fire uncontrolled.
Chronic Inflammation is when your body no longer has the ability to turn off the inflammatory response and it starts damaging healthy tissue in your body. It could damage the intestinal lining in your gut and cause digestive problems, it could damage the arteries in your heart and cause heart disease, or it could damage your joints and cause rheumatoid arthritis. It even plays a role in obesity, cancer and much more. For example: See it as starting a small campfire meant to keep you warm that doesn’t get put out and grows into an out of control forest fire, burning 100,000 acres. All that damage done! Now just imagine, this is exactly what happens if we do not take control of chronic inflammation. See signs and symptoms below:
- Ongoing, irritating pain in the body (like the joints or muscles)
- Allergies or asthma (especially when they keep getting worse)
- High blood pressure or blood sugar problems
- Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (constipation or diarrhea)
- Constant fatigue or lethargy
- Skin problems or red, bloodshot eyes
- Hydrogenated Oils
- Dairy Products
- Meat and Processed Meats
- Refined Grains
- Artificial Additives and Preservatives
For more information of what these foods do to you see >>> http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflammatory-foods-to-avoid.htm
Calming Anti-Inflammatory Foods
“As for the earth, out of it cometh bread: and under it is turned up as it were fire.” ~Job 28:5
The power within the foods listed below can help treat even chronic inflammation.
- Boswellia (Frankincense)
- Vitamin D
- Ginger and Turmeric
- Teas, like white tea, oolong, and green tea are full of catechins, antioxidant compounds that reduce artery plaque and inflammation.
- Oily Fish like salmon, sardines, and tuna and the best source of fish oil (only buy wild Pacific or Alaskan salmon and organically farm-raised; anything else has high levels of mercury).
- Cocoa contains anti-inflammatory compounds called flavanols, substances that reduce both blood clotting and inflammation in the body. Enjoying a cup or two of hot cocoa per week can help reduce inflammation.
- ALL Berries
- Ground Flax Seed
- Nuts: particularly almonds, which are rich in fiber, calcium, and vitamin E, and walnuts, which have high amounts of alpha-linolenic acid, a type of omega-3 fat. All nuts, though, are packed with antioxidants, which can help your body fight off and repair the damage caused by inflammation.
- Walnuts: a plant version of omega-3 fatty acids
- Dark leafy greens
- Whole Grains: consuming most of your grains as whole grains, instead of refined, white bread, cereal, rice, and pasta can help keep harmful inflammation at bay.
- Olive oil
- Rich in color vegetables
“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” ~Genesis 1:29
We have to remember that every action contributes to either anti-inflammation (heath) or pro-inflammatory (chronic disease). It’s easy to pick the pro-inflammatory choices and rationalize that it’s not a big deal. But the bottom line is these pro-inflammatory choices add up over time until one day, chronic inflammation is the reason you have IBD, or heart disease, or RA, or even the reason you’re DEAD. Chronic inflammation comes when a disease associated with it shows up, like heart disease, cancer, or autoimmune disease like MS, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease or Rheumatoid Arthritis, all very damaging to the body’s systems. Inflammation is our friend, and a natural defense system our Creator built within us all. But if it continues long-term it will become a secret killer if not detected.
“Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth” ~3 John 1:2
I hope the above list of anti-inflammatory foods help you as much as it has helped my mother. Before, witnessing my mother deal with her inflammation (chronic) I only knew the basics as far as Acute Inflammation. Chronic Inflammation is what we want to prevent. It is imperative that we be more in tune with our body, for it is equipped with sensory to alert you when something is wrong within (our Creator is amazing). All praise and glory to The Most High for letting inflammation be curable, and giving us natural solutions to do so!!
Be well my sisters.